Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Myth continued

This is the third part of a five day post.  If you haven't read the first one take the time to go back and read it.  It will make more sense that way.


3

Out of a fog of unawareness there began to come into focus a picture.  Above him he began to see the color and outline of a face.  As the picture cleared he recognized it as his father’s face.  His father was leaning over him and had a damp rag that he was dabbing on the boy’s forehead.  He turned his attention to his surroundings.  He was in his room in his bed.  He felt comfortable lying there.  His father caring for him gave an added sense of security.
“What happened?  I heard a sound and when I got into the study you were on the floor,” His father inquired with raised brow.
And with those few words the sense of comfort was gone.  Into his mind the memory came flooding back, like a broken dam letting loose a torrent of water crashing down the once clam river bed.  His head began to throb and he could feel the sweat beginning to form on his brow.  The study, the pages, it all came back.  He cursed for forgetting, now here he was at the mercy of the man who now hovered above him.  He wanted to flee and escape to somewhere safe.  He began to breathe deeply.
“Whoa, whoa.  Son, what’s wrong?” his father asked in a soothing tone while putting his hand on the boy’s shoulder.  “Everything is all right.”  The boy felt his heart begin to slow.  He was concerned that he was calming down.  He found himself wondering if his father was using a spell or some sort of trick to take away his fear.  He wanted to stay on edge but found he couldn’t.  All he could do was squeak out one little phrase.
“You ruined it…you’re a…bad person.” He felt silly for making such a weak accusation.  He wished he could have been bold.  He realized that his father would have no idea what he was talking about.  His father would have thought himself clever and would be shocked to know his young son had found him out.
“Ah, the missing pages?  Of course the missing pages.  No, don’t act so surprised.  I knew you would notice some day. It seems that today happens to be that day.  I remember the day that my father cut them out of the book and burnt them.  I thought that he would be smitten or drop dead instantly.  I wanted to die myself when he did it.  I thought it was evil what he was doing.  How could he dare? I thought.  Well I think I may understand now what I didn’t then, though it took me many years to really get it.  Let me tell you a story that you have never heard before.  It is a story that very few are old enough to remember.  Not even the king who is younger than me knows it.  It might help you understand the book better.”

No comments: