Sunday, October 3, 2010

Trust in Tech


I love the moments when I am caught off guard by myself and learn something new about me.  They are moments that come from time to time, quite randomly.   And the things I discover are startling and revealing.

The most recent insight into myself came during a very casual conversation about email.  The thought, that I didn’t know was in my brain, crept up from out of the dark hidden shadows and was soon right before me.

He was a scrawny little figure, dressed in rags.  He looked underfed and accustomed to hardship.  Dirty and shifty, his appearance was the epitome of a street urchin.  What was most noticeable were his eyes.  There were sharp, but full of distrust as if he could discern those who could, and more importantly, could not be trusted.  He shook his head at me ever so subtly but I knew exactly what he meant.  He was saying, Don’t trust technology.  And then he was gone, as silently as he had come.

I use it, I enjoy it, and benefit from it.  But I don’t trust it.  For all that technology does, it can’t win my trust.  I know that one day it will let me down.

When the day comes I will be alright.  I will have my ideas, stories and thoughts.  I have entrusted them to paper and ink.  So when there is no power and my batteries are dead, I will pull out the stacks of paper and perhaps a candle and read.  And my soul will not be lost.  

1 comment:

Ashley Benning said...

I want this blog to have a "like" button. I don't usually have any comments, but I like what I read.