Saturday, September 4, 2010

Into the Wind

I remember a game of Ultimate Frisbee that I played some time ago.  It was with the regular crowd at the regular place and the regular time.  What was different was the weather.  There was a cross wind that seemed to meddle with every throw of the Frisbee. 

The short throws were only marginally affected and the receiver could usually make up the distance between where the disc was intended to go and where it actually went.  The real difficulty came as long distance throws were attempted.  Over longer flights the displacement was amplified, as the wind had more time to do its work.

Early on I realized what the wind was up to.  It was a nuisance but at least it wasn’t maliciously fickle.   The wind was a steady and consistent southward force.  So as I threw I would throw into the wind to compensate.  To me it followed logically.  If my throws were regularly flying to the left of their mark I shouldcounter that force by aiming to the right of my desired destination.  I changed my behavior and the result changed.  The Frisbee got where I wanted it.

What was really frustrating was that the need for the change in behavior was not obvious to all of my teammates.  I would watch as, time after time, they would throw the Frisbee and have it always veer right.  Every throw was a shock and surprise to them.  They could not fathom a reason for the occurrence.  It was truly a mystery for them.  They didn’t make, what to me was, a simple connection.  I tried to explain to them that they needed to modify behavior.  But the advice didn’t penetrate.  I couldn’t help them understand. 

Eventually I also changed my behavior as a receiver.  When the Frisbee was thrown to me I would run to where I knew the Frisbee would get carried by the wind, not stay idly where I knew it wouldn’t come. 

To me it was natural to see a change that needed to be made and then act accordingly to effect the necessary adjustment.  And I was frustrated at those who couldn’t.

The real question is the one applied to life.  Can I step back in my life and see my behavior that is consistently resulting in unsatisfactory outcomes?

I was once told by someone, a guy five years my junior as well as a stranger, something that was very keen.  He said, “The only consistent factor in all your failed relationships…is you.”  It turns out in life I am the Frisbee thrower that doesn’t get why my throws never get where I want them to.  

The wind isn’t the problem and life factors aren’t the problem.  They are part of the equation, we can take those for granted.  It is up to us to see, understand and act accordingly.  We can’t be successful in life until we make that connection and learn the principle. 

If we are constantly failing the fault may be ours.  There is hope however because the power to change is also ours.

No comments: