Thursday, September 2, 2010

Money isn't Time

A man recently made a comment that saddened me.  He said, “One of my adult children just told me that growing up it was easier to get $100 from me than ten minutes of my time.”   He said it in a tone of remorse.  He came to a realization after the death of his wife.  He looked around at his life and all there was to show was money.  He didn’t have memories shared with those he loved.  His memories were of deadlines and all nighters, not tee-ball games and BBQs.  He had missed out on so much.  After having that realization he began trying to change his way by giving his time to grandchildren, but how sad that it skipped a whole generation.

For me, as a child, it was just the opposite.  To get money from my dad was not an easy task.  I essentially had to present an invoice for labor preformed and then exhibit my work to certify that it was up to standard.  But as a contrast to the money-dispensing-man I knew that my dad would make time for me.  He actually went quite out of his way to spend time with me, to be involved in my life. 

We weren’t rich growing up but we were happy.  I had a dad who cared and showed it not with cash handouts but with himself.

Turning time into money is impossible for some, while it comes naturally to others.  My dad is smart, honest, and hard working.  He could easily turn his time into money.  But among his qualities is wisdom and he knew even as a young father that money isn’t what it’s all about.  While he needed to provide he also knew that making money was not enough to fill that requirement.  He knew that his time and love was vital.  And that he gave.  He forwent money, position and prominence to be with his children.  Instead of filling a bank account he filled emotional accounts, he invested in relationships.  He made memories—built a tree-fort, a rocketship, and countless wooden swords and shields.  But more than what he built for me was what he built with me.  He helped me make a plastic model airplane, a pencil holder for grandpa, a desk for my room, and countless other projects.

I am glad that he taught me how to work for money.  I value that lesson. 

More than that I value the time he freely gave. 

No comments: